Today is September 13th with PAX Online going on for their 2nd day. Here is our picks to check out today panel and music wise for PAX Online.
PAX Online Schedule: https://online.paxsite.com/schedule#date=13
Did Animal Crossing Save Our Souls?
- SUN 13/09 2:45 PM – SUN 13/09 3:45 PM
- We’ve all been playing more games during the Covid-19 pandemic, whether it’s sneaky Switch sessions during Zoom meetings or filling the void of furlough with playthroughs of the latest blockbusters. But how has this increase in gaming affected us? Many have mused that games help us cope with the stress, uncertainty, and misery of the pandemic, and connect with people online when we cannot connect in person. Others have voiced fears that lockdown is the perfect breeding ground for unhealthy gaming habits. So what do we actually know? Join games researchers Dr Rachel Kowert, research director of the mental health in games charity Take This, Dr Sebastian Deterding, who leads the COVID-19 and Games Research Observatory, and ethicist Dr Catherine Flick, of the Ask an Ethicist booth at PAX East, in a discussion about the impact of games on us during the lockdown, all based on the latest research.
Building a Home Escape Room: Zero Budget, Lots of Fun
- SUN 13/09 3:00 PM – SUN 13/09 4:00 PM
- Escape rooms are awesome! They let us try out video game logic in the real world. But when the real world goes AFK for a while, we can still make some cool escape room-like experiences for friends and family stuck at home. Join Sara Winters, a cosplayer and fan of building whole worlds from cardboard and string, as we walk through an at-home room escape experience you can play along to, while learning how to craft your own!
TTRPGs and Kids: Engaging Children in Tabletop Roleplaying
- SUN 13/09 6:45 PM – SUN 13/09 7:45 PM
- Many people, especially parents and educators, want to introduce kids to the joys of tabletop roleplaying games; after all, it’s a proven resource for therapy, education, and fun! No matter why you’re making the attempt, it can be difficult to take that step and engage children in the games we all know and love. Our panelists are professionals in the TTRPG and education industries and have experience creating role-playing content and running game sessions with and for kids. Together we will discuss how to pick games that are best suitable for your group, how to organize your TTRPG sessions effectively, as well as, how to encourage meaningful interaction at your table. An emphasis will be placed on acknowledging and incorporating respectful LGBTQ+ and BIMPOC content that is representative of these communities.
Who’s The Biggest Name in Games We Can Get To Join Our Zoom?
- SUN 13/09 9:30 PM – SUN 13/09 10:30 PM
- Everybody knows somebody! In this panel, we push that idea to the limit. Join Blessing Adeoye Jr. (Kinda Funny), Riana Manuel (What’s Good Games), Youssef Maguid (Ubisoft), and Belinda Garcia (Ubisoft) as they compete to see which one of them can get the biggest video games industry personalities to join their Zoom call. How many people can they recruit? What’s the limit on a Zoom call? Can any of them get Hideo Kojima? Tune in to find out.
Sunday Night Concert – 88Bit
- SUN 13/09 11:30 PM – MON 14/09 12:30 AM
- 88bit is the alter ego of Cleveland-based composer/pianist, Rob Kovacs, where he performs virtuosic note-for-note piano arrangements of classic video game soundtracks from the original Nintendo Entertainment System. Kovacs’ repertoire consists of music from Mega Man 2, Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest as well as lesser-known games such as Marble Madness, Adventures of Lolo, Arkista’s Ring and others. By acoustically recreating early electronic music (music never intended to be performed by humans), Kovacs is stretching the limits of traditional classical piano playing and bringing video game music to audiences that might never have otherwise heard the music.
Support 88Bit in the following locations!