WARSAW, Poland – October 13, 2020 – Different Tales and Walkabout Games are proud to announce that Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Heart of the Forest, the first-ever video game based on the legendary tabletop RPG, is launching today on PC, Mac, and Linux through Steam, GOG.com, and GeForce Now, at $14.99 / €12.49 / £11.39. A special 10% discount will be available for 7 days from the day of release.
The game will also be available via Steam and GOG in the World of Darkness Bundle, alongside Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York, with a 15% discount for the whole set.
- World of Darkness bundle on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/16262/
- World of Darkness bundle on GOG: http://www.gog.com/promo/world_of_darkness_bundle
Werewolf: Heart of the Forest is a savage, story-focused, horror game that features extensive narrative branching, with more than 200,000 paths leading to 5 main endings. The player becomes Maia, a young woman who comes to Poland looking for her roots only to end up being drafted into an ancient war.
This game elevates the visual novel genre by adapting the Rage and Willpower mechanics from the legendary tabletop RPG. Maia’s personality is determined by the player’s choices and the world around her adapts accordingly. By controlling Rage, the game’s primary resource, the player can change Maia’s perspective and see aspects that will be invisible in other playthroughs.
Heart of the Forest is set in a real-world location: the Bialowieza Forest a.k.a. the Puszcza, the last primal wilderness in Europe. Maia’s story was inspired by 2016-2017 protests against commercial logging of the forest, which resulted in the European Union judiciary ordering a stop to deforestation.
- The first video game ever based on the legendary RPG Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
- Visual novel elevated to a new genre with mechanics inspired by tabletop RPG.
- A rich story with extensive branching.
- Set in real places, inspired by true events.
- A distinctive art style that suggests rather than simply depicting.
- PC Gamer – “Definitely one to keep an eye on for World of Darkness fans.”
- GamesRadar – “As atmospheric as it is intriguing.”
- GamesHedge – “Really engaging and I absolutely loved the visual art style.”
- Polygamia – “The attention to detail, the celebration of the moment. (…) It’s a pity we had to wait so long for such games.”
- TheGamer – “The writing in Heart of the Forest is stellar (…) helped by the excellent artwork that accompanies the story.”
- Gameffine – “A truly engaging experience.”
- SAgamer – “I found myself wishing for more.”
“We’ve been Werewolf and World of Darkness nerds for 20+ years, and working on this game has felt like coming home after a long trip,” said Piotr Gnyp, Head of Biz Dev at Walkabout Games. “We want players to experience what made us fall in love with this brand when we were young: the ability to create your own stories in a world that is familiar, yet strange. When you finish the game, tell us your version of Maia’s story, using the hashtag #WerewolfHOTF”
“As a dark fantasy layer over our real world, the World of Darkness is perfect for telling compelling supernatural stories in familiar environments,” said Sean Greaney, Brand Manager for World of Darkness. “We love Different Tales’ and Walkabout Games’ passion for Werewolf: The Apocalypse and the care they’ve taken in crafting a story around a place and event they know so well.”
About Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Werewolf: The Apocalypse is a legendary role-playing game first released in 1992 by White Wolf. The player is a Garou, commonly referred to as a werewolf. Their kind is locked in a two-front war against the spiritual desolation of urban civilization and supernatural forces of corruption seeking to bring about the Apocalypse.
About Different Tales
Different Tales is a storytelling studio co-founded by The Witcher head story designer Artur Ganszyniec and project lead Jacek Brzeziński (The Witcher, Hitman, Dying Light).
Over the last dozen years, Different Tales members have worked on fantasy franchises with a cult following, mobile games for the mass market, artistic experiments, critically acclaimed products about killing people and prototypes that were meant to exceed the boundaries of the medium. They are always ready to tell a new story.
- Website: differenttales.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/differenttales/
- Twitter: twitter.com/differenttales
About Walkabout Games
The publisher behind Liberated and Wanderlust: Travel Stories, Walkabout Games is a Polish publisher and developer of aspiring independent game studios.
It supports ambitious projects full of new, exciting, and risky ideas that evoke the kind of amazement that we all love video games for.
- Website: walkabout.games
- Facebook: facebook.com/WalkaboutGames/
- Twitter: twitter.com/Walkabout_Games
About World of Darkness
World of Darkness is a transmedia entertainment brand encompassing a number of modern fantasy horror franchises, including Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and more. Through tabletop roleplaying games, video games, board games, literature, comic books, and more, these franchises tell mature stories in a dark supernatural fantasy layered over our modern world. Since 1991, World of Darkness has defined monster-perspective entertainment for a generation of fans. For more information visit www.worldofdarkness.com.