LOS ANGELES, CA – JULY 28, 2020 – Easy Day Studios has announced today that Skater XL, the next big evolution of the skateboarding video game genre, is now available on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Steam. With 100% physics-based controls and a passionate skate community subculture, Skater XL is the first authentic skateboarding title to come out on major platforms in more than ten years. Skater XL breaks the mold with ground-breaking responsive controls that deliver complete freedom of skating expression and creativity.
Dive into skateboarding paradise with levels that feature famous skate landmarks and environmental elements, including Downtown LA, the ginormous Big Ramp, Easy Day High, and community created maps like Grant Park, Hudland and Streets. Play as skateboarding pros Tiago Lemos, Evan Smith, Tom Asta and Brandon Westgate, or customize and create your own skateboarding legend with gear from more than 30 real skate brands. Explore hundreds of PC mods, maps, digital skate zines, personal highlight replays and more from the Skater XL community that celebrates this new era of digital skateboarding.
“Our goal was to evolve the genre and capture the fun and self expression of skateboarding more than any previous game. This started by assigning complete foot control and physics to each thumbstick instead of letting pre-made canned animations do the work,” states Dain Hedgpeth, Co-Founder and Director of Easy Day Studios. “Today’s launch is the culmination of years of heads down development working directly with our community, they’ve been part of it all including map design, new control mechanics and even the game’s promotion.”
Skater XL features include:
- Freedom Of Expression – Skater XL‘s physics-based controls don’t have any pre-programmed tricks – only the movement through the thumbsticks. Each thumbstick is connected to the corresponding foot of the skater and as the player moves the stick, the board instantly responds. Much like a musical instrument, the player has complete freedom, whether it be pushing to nail a line or skating free from.
- Real Life Iconic Locations – Skater XL levels are all inspired real-world skate areas and designed to ensure a constant flow of skate lines. From the DTLA Map with skateboarding landmarks around the Staples Center and LA Convention Center, to Easy Day High School’s sprawling campus of iconic skate spots like the Wallenberg Big 4 and the ‘Leap of Faith’, to the humongous ‘Big Ramp,’ where skaters can soar higher than a hawk.
- Play As Real-Life Skate Pros – Select from renowned pros Tiago Lemos, Brandon Westgate, Evan Smith, and Tom Asta, all with their own distinct gear that fits their style.
- Customizable Characters – The possibilities are endless to personalize the Skater XL experience. Players can customize their entire look, including their skater’s gear with different tees, hoodies, hats and shoes from over 30 of the most recognized skate brands like Vans, Santa Cruz, DC Shoes, Independent, Lakai and many more.
- Thriving Community – Dive into a passionate community with more than 100,000 members in Discord (the biggest Discord in the World for reference is Fortnite at 500k, amazing given that Skater XL is still in Early Access!) who create online zines, video parts, fakeskate brands, and hundreds of mods. Players can become part of a bigger ecosystem and join the digital skateboarding subculture where they can share their creativity on the newly launched Skater XL modding hub, Skaterxl.mod.io.
- Legit Soundtrack – Modest Mouse, Getter, Interpol, Animal Collective and Band Of Horses headline the distinctive music that blends well with the Skater XL‘s West Coast vibe and fluid physics-based control mechanics.
Skater XL is now available for $39.99 USD on PS4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam, and at brick and mortar retailers for PS4 and Xbox One. The Nintendo Switch will be released later this year. For the latest news and updates on Skater XL, follow the game on Instagram and Twitter, “Like” us on Facebook, and visit the official website, SkaterXL.com.
ABOUT EASY DAY STUDIOS
Founded in 2018 by Skater App creator and physicist Dain Hedgpeth, Jon West, former sponsored skateboarder turned game developer, and Jeff Goforth, industry veteran of 19 years and former head of skateboarding at DC Shoes, Easy Day Studios is the leader in action sports video game creation. Easy Day Studios is fully self funded and 100% committed to the shared vision of reviving and evolving skateboarding games into what every fan has been hoping for since the birth of the genre. With decades of experience, the team is comprised of video game development and skateboarding veterans. Since Early Access launch in December 2018 and the rapid growth of the Skater XL modding community, Easy Day has also hired two former modders and continues to work directly with this community.