Network Launches “We Are Her(oes)” Multiplatform Campaign Featuring Female-Focused Content Every Day in March
SYFY Commits to Creating More Content For Women, By Women, About Women All Year via Its FANGRRLS Brand
NEW YORK, NY — February 27, 2020 — In celebration of Women’s History Month, SYFY is honoring women who have influenced fandom with a multi-faceted “We Are Her(oes)” campaign throughout the month of March. Presented by the network’s female-focused brand SYFY FANGRRLS, this initiative will spotlight content created for and by women across SYFY’s linear, digital and social platforms. Every day of the month, the network will feature female-focused original programming and podcasts, marathons and stunts, fresh SYFY WIRE editorial, redesigned branding and unique custom content.
Additionally, SYFY has committed to significantly growing its SYFY FANGRRLS brand throughout 2020 and beyond, by increasing the video, podcast and editorial content made by and for a broad range of women and binary voices.
“Fandom is about coming together to rally around our passions, no matter who you are,” said Sandy Deane, Senior Vice President, SYFY WIRE, who also oversees SYFY FANGRRLS. “At SYFY, we celebrate women every day, but this month we’re going all out to honor those trailblazers who’ve influenced genre, storytelling, fandom and the creative arts in inspiring ways. We want to change the narrative around female fandom and give women a platform to celebrate their passions and join the conversation — not just this March, but all year long.”
SYFY’s full “We Are Her(oes)” campaign includes:
MARATHONS, ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING & PODCASTS
Throughout the month, SYFY’s original programming, movie stunts and new podcasts highlight influential women of genre, including:
- “Forgotten Women of Genre” Podcast (Available starting Monday, 3/2, here) — Season 2 of the popular SYFY FANGRRLS podcast will pay homage to 20 women who were instrumental in the genre, with 20 new episodes airing throughout March
- WYNONNA EARP “Fan-Favorites” Marathons (Friday, 3/6 from 6:30-9:30am; Friday, 3/20 from 6:30-10:30am; Friday, 3/27 from 6-9am on SYFY) — Marathons of SYFY’s cult favorite series WYNONNA EARP, leading up to an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the upcoming Season 4 during the network’s 20 WOMEN TO WATCH IN 2020 special (see below)
- “MAN-SEL in Distress” Movie Marathon (Sunday, 3/8 from 9am-11:30pm on SYFY) — Action movie marathon showcasing strong female characters who are the heroines of their stories — saving the men in distress. Airing on International Women’s Day, titles include Mad Max: Fury Road, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider; Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life; Zombieland; X-Men: First Class; Power Rangers
- VAGRANT QUEEN Series Premiere (Friday, 3/27 at 10/9c on SYFY) — The premiere of this new 10-episode series kicks off a female-focused night of originals on SYFY. Based on the comic book series from Vault Comics, VAGRANT QUEEN is created by an all-female team of writers and directors
- 20 WOMEN TO WATCH IN 2020 Documentary Special (Friday, 3/27 at 11/10c on SYFY, directly following the VAGRANT QUEEN premiere) — This FANGRRLS original documentary special spotlights rising women across film, TV and comics who will make an impact in the genre in 2020
SYFY FANGRRLS EDITORIAL & DIGITAL
Custom, new SYFY FANGRRLS content debuting throughout Women’s History Month will include:
- Fangrrls on Film — Every Friday, SYFY FANGRRLS will feature curated lists of the must-watch genre films made by women. Additionally, while at SXSW, FANGRRLS will spotlight a slate of female-led films via reviews, interviews, and op-eds
- Get Rec’d — SYFY FANGRRLS’ special recommendation lists from notable female creators
- Grrl Talk — Each week throughout March, a different fangrrl will share what she’s fangrrling over, what fandom means to her, and how she’s been empowered or inspired by various genre properties, characters, and creators
SYFY is a global, multiplatform media brand that gives science fiction fans of all kinds a universe to call home. Celebrating the genre in all its forms, SYFY super-serves passionate fans with original science fiction, fantasy, paranormal and superhero programming, live event coverage and imaginative digital and social content. The brand is powered by SYFY WIRE (www.syfy.com), the premier portal for breaking genre news, insight and commentary. SYFY is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
About SYFY WIRE:
SYFY WIRE is the premier editorial brand for fans of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. Featuring up-to-the-minute news and passionate discussion and analysis, SYFY WIRE covers the latest in genre-focused movies, TV, books, comics, video games and more. Find SYFY WIRE online at www.syfy.com, on air on the SYFY network, and at a ‘con near you!
About SYFY FANGRRLS:
Female-focused vertical, featuring a broad range of women and nonbinary voices celebrating the similarly diverse world of science fiction, fantasy, genre and STEM. Founded and launched in 2016 by Managing Editor Cher Martinetti, who was inspired by the riot grrrl DIY culture of the ’90s music scene, FANGRRLS encourages all to come as you are. Edgy, fierce and a keen mix of celebratory and critical, FANGRRLS is about geek culture and emphasizes its stories for women, about women, by women. Our goal is authenticity first and foremost. Our voice and coverage is layered like female fans are. We are funny, serious, and sincere all at once. We believe that sci-fi, fantasy and genre has power, and that its influence on society and culture should not be underestimated. We believe in being the change we want to see in fan culture.