DENVER (Thursday, March 3) –STUDIO GHIBLI FEST is back in theaters this spring with a new slate of timeless animated classics for 2022 – kicking off with 25th-anniversary screenings of the epic historical fantasy Princess Mononoke. Written and directed by Academy Award®-winner Hayao Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke held Japan’s box office record for domestic films for four years until it was unseated by another STUDIO GHIBLI film, Spirited Away.
STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2022 will highlight seven beloved films from the acclaimed studio, including the aforementioned Academy Award®-winning masterpiece Spirited Away, the Oscar®- nominated fantasy epic Howl’s Moving Castle, and the critically acclaimed Ponyo. Celebrating its 20th anniversary, The Cat Returns, the fantastical adventure where the Baron from Whisper of the Heart returns to the big screen. Rounding out the series, the intimate and timeless drama Only Yesterday, from Academy Award®-nominated director and Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata joins this year’s spectacular lineup, in its first-ever nationwide theatrical release in North America. STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2022 will run in U.S. cinemas throughout the fall.
“The team at Fathom Events is thrilled to kick off Studio Ghibli Fest for the fifth time,” said Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt. “We’re not only excited to bring these cherished films to the big screen for dedicated fans of animation but we’re also proud of our long-standing relationship with GKIDS. It’s going to be a great series!”
Each event will be shown in both original Japanese and English dubbed versions and will include exclusive bonus content. Tickets for STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2022 can be purchased online beginning Thursday, March 3, by visiting FathomEvents.com, GhibliFest.com or at participating theater box offices. (Theaters and participants are subject to change).
STUDIO GHIBLI FEST 2022 SCHEDULE:
All event listings are in local time
Princess Mononoke 25th Anniversary
- Sunday, April 3, 2022 – 3:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, April 4, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Wednesday, April 6, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Sunday, May 15, 2022 – 3:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, May 16, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Wednesday, May 18, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
The Cat Returns 20th Anniversary
- Sunday, June 26, 2022 – 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, June 27, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Sunday, July 31, 2022 – 3:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, August 1, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Wednesday, August 3, 2022, 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Sunday, August 28, 2022 – 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, August 29, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
Howl’s Moving Castle
- Sunday, September 25, 2022 – 3:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Monday, September 26, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Wednesday, September 28, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Sunday, October 30, 2022 – 3:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
- Tuesday, November 1, 2022 – 7:00 PM Local Time (Japanese with Subtitles)
- Wednesday, November 2, 2022, 7:00 PM Local Time (English Dubbed)
About Fathom Events
Fathom is a recognized leader in the entertainment industry as one of the top distributors of content to movie theaters in North America. Owned by AMC Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: AMC); Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK); and Regal, a subsidiary of the Cineworld Group (LSE: CINE.L), Fathom operates the largest cinema distribution network, delivering a wide variety of programming and experiences to cinema audiences in all of the top U.S. markets and to more than 45 countries. For more information, visit www.FathomEvents.com.
GKIDS is the producer and distributor of award-winning feature animation for both adult and family audiences. Since 2010, the company has scored an astounding 12 Best Animated Feature Oscar nominations with The Secret of Kells in 2010, A Cat in Paris and Chico & Rita in 2012, Ernest & Celestine in 2014, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea in 2015, Boy and the World and When Marnie Was There in 2016, My Life as a Zucchini in 2017, The Breadwinner in 2018, Mirai in 2019, and Wolfwalkers in 2021. GKIDS handles North American distribution for the famed Studio Ghibli library of films, one of the world’s most coveted animation collections with titles Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke and others; as well as the critically acclaimed television series, NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. Also, GKIDS is the founder and host of ANIMATION IS FILM, the annual LA-based film festival which embraces the highest aspirations of animation as a cinematic art form, and is a vocal advocate for filmmakers who push the boundaries of the medium to its fullest range of artistic expressions. www.gkids.com
About Studio Ghibli
Studio Ghibli is one of the most acclaimed and influential animation studios in the world, inspiring filmmakers and audiences alike over the last 30 years with beloved stories and breathtaking visuals. Under the brilliance of visionary animation directors Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, and producer Toshio Suzuki, the studio’s films are known for timeless classics such as My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Ponyo; and have won countless international awards including an Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature for Spirited Away, as well as four additional Oscar® nominations for Howl’s Moving Castle, The Wind Rises, The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, When Marnie Was There, and The Red Turtle. Director and studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki was separately given an Honorary Award at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Governors Awards in 2014, and the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures paid tribute to his artwork with a special exhibit when the Museum opened in September 2021.