Fathom Events has a week of fall programming with a theme of social relevance, including everything from classic film and documentaries to a live author discussion. Audiences can hear from famed author of The Handmaid’s Tale in “Margaret Atwood: Live in Cinemas,” learn about the forgotten art of human decency in “You Are Here,” see immigrants fight for the American dream in “El Norte,” and ponder the importance of plant-based diets in “Game Changers.”
- Margaret Atwood: Live in Cinemas: Tuesday, September 10 at 7:00 p.m. local time
- This event is a celebration of the global publication of the Booker-longlistedThe Testaments, Margaret Atwood’s highly anticipated sequel to her seminal work, The Handmaid’s Tale. Captured live from the National Theatre in London, the event will include readings, a Q&A between Margaret Atwood and BBC journalist and New York Times best-selling author Samira Ahmed, and the screening of never-before-seen footage from a documentary on Atwood’s life and work. Actress Lily James (“All About Eve,” “Yesterday”) was recently announced as a special guest, with others to be announced.
- You Are Here: Wednesday, September 11 at 7:00 p.m. local time
- On September 11, 2001, global chaos ensued as the World Trade Center Towers came crashing down, and the fate of airline passengers en route to America was literally thrown off course. When 38 planes carrying 6,500 individuals arrived at Gander, Newfoundland, the eastern-most point of North America, the small Canadian town came together to host a group of strangers who would leave as family. “You Are Here,” from award-winning producer Peter Gentile, which was influenced by the same events that inspired the hit Broadway musical “Come From Away,” will show in nearly 800 U.S. movie theaters as a one-night event on September 11, 2019.
- El Norte: Sunday, September 15 at 2:00 p.m. local time
- “El Norte,” the epic, widely acclaimed masterpiece about the dreams of immigrants from Central America and the promise of America, will return to movie theaters in select markets this September in a special one-day-only 35th anniversary presentation from Fathom Events and global content leader Lionsgate. Directed by Gregory Nava from a screenplay co-written by Anna Thomas, “El Norte” will play on Sunday, September 15 – the first day of National Hispanic Heritage Month – in more than 200 movie theaters in select markets nationwide.
- EXCLUSIVE CONTENT: an introduction by Nava and a brand-new featurette that explores the making of the film and features the film’s stars, Zaide Silvia Gutiérrez and David Villalpando. Nava’s introduction and the behind-the-scenes featurette will be presented in both English and Spanish.
- The Game Changers: Monday, September 16 at 7:30 p.m. local time
- “The Game Changers” follows the story of James Wilks — elite Special Forces trainer and winner of The Ultimate Fighter — as he travels the world on a quest for the truth about meat, protein and strength. Executive produced by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan with Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Louie Psihoyos alongside James Cameron, Lewis Hamilton, Novak Djokovic and Chris Paul, “The Game Changers” features some of the strongest, fastest and toughest athletes on the planet and documents the explosive rise of plant-based eating in professional sports, mixing real-time, groundbreaking science with cinematic stories of struggle and triumph. Wilks’ journey exposes outdated myths about food that not only affect human performance, but the health of the entire global population.